Monday, September 4, 2017

30 August 2017 - Rice tacos. Every day.



For every meal. It's not that I'm tired of eating rice tacos, it's just that I never want to eat one again. Ever. 

Hola, Familia y amigos,

Thanks to everyone for thoughts and prayers. This week finds us all in good health.

This week went by much more quickly than the last few weeks. I think P-day makes all the difference.
Last Wednesday we went to the temple, and it was wonderful. I really enjoyed being able to take a little trip outside what the Missionaries here refer to as THE WALL. Because that's what it is. A giant, stone wall with barbed wire and stuff at the top. The CCM is like a tiny prison paradise. What a blessed place to be. 
In all seriousness, it was a very stark reminder of life outside the CCM and just how different it is from our lives in Utah and other places, as well as our lives with the light and knowledge of the Gospel.  (Week two and I'm already using missionary speak. Gross.) 

The temple here is the largest operating temple outside of the states, but it is still so small compared to Utah temples. It's also kind of smack in the middle of the city, just like, boop. A temple. It is very beautiful though.

This week in our lessons at the CCM, we got two new investigators, Gabriél and Amelia. Gabriel is like exactly the same as our last super *coughdifficultcough* awesome investigator. We were told that he was Catholic and had a wife and three kids and was interested to find out how the gospel could make his family more happy. We prepared a lesson on how the restoration allows families to experience joy together in this life and in the next, and making super great comparisons to families, like how God is our loving father who wants to hear from us just like a father love to hear from theiidr ks. We began our discussion with him by asking him about his family.
Us: Hermano, tell us about your family.
Him: What do you want to know?
Us: well, what do you like to do with your family? 
Him: Nothing really. I just like to play x-box and fútboll. 
Us:.... Well, don't you like it when your children talk to you, say thank  you...?
Him: Not really. I guess, I don't really like to spend time with them. 
Us:.......cool. Hermano, our message can bless your family. Do you believe in God?
Him: Who? 
Then he asked all sorts of wild questions about why Mormons are so rich and what is a prophet and why do we bother serving missions. I think he is just trying to fight with us. :( We weren't prepared at all for an encounter like this, which is eye opening, but also frustrating. 

Our other investigator is a wonderful woman who is a sincere investigator and goshdarnit we love her. She is helpful and asks great questions and we are really excited for her to receive the gospel. 
Hermana Ellis and I are progressing well in our Spanish ! Yay for being able to communicate. 
Missionary work is long and hard, but definitely rewarding. 

Okay. That's all. Great. Bye.
-Hermana Baer

P.S. Sorry for still no photos, but after the trial of your faith, you will receive the images you desire. 

Mom: Are your investigators real investigators? Or are they members who volunteer to come to the CCM to give you someone to practice on?  (All of my teaching opportunites at the Provo MTC were to really nice, clean-cut, garmet-wearing people who had "never" heard of the church before . . . )

Noelle: Yeah so the investigators are actually our teachers. We all love our morning, Hermana Maestra, but we all - the whole district - struggle to love and work with our Afternoon Maestro. It's nice because then our lessons can be directly related to how to improve.
BUT We will be really teaching people from outside THE WALL tomorrow. hah. hoo. oh no. 

 I love my Taos. they are my bestest shoes. Thanks for them.

I finally saw Elder Larkin - so a confirmation that he is still here. 

Hermana Ellis and I have set some major goals to be on time. Things are definitely improving. Progress. 

 
[responding to Dad's letter]
Yes, Hello, Hi.

Hurray for you and Evan singing together! I'll be sure to watch for you both. And also where you're sitting.... 

Thank you for sharing your spiritual thoughts. Sometimes I feel like the beautiful parts of the gospel get lost in all the training here at the CCM. 
I sure miss you guys and I miss Pasta too. 

This week, I feel like I got a small part of an answer about why the custard I have to serve a mission D&C 100: 3-8. I still really hate being a missionary, and I always wish I didn't have to do it, but this helped me a little.

We are headed back to the temple today, which is great, but also sad because I was kind of hoping to go later when my Spanish was better and also as kind of a last hurrah before leaving. but whatever. I'm not upset. 

Mexico smells weird, and I sure miss all of you.
toodles.
-Hermana Nol

No comments:

Post a Comment